A proof-of-concept test shoot
Roles: Writer, producer, ideation
I’m a big fan of reaction videos on YouTube. You know the kind. A few cracking good ones…
- Brits try American foods
- People who hate cats meet kittens
- Americans react to people trying to do American accents
Reaction videos are useful for all sorts of purposes. For example
- Show people trying a new product
- Comparing competing products
- Build a storyline (more on that in a moment)
- Virality (is that a word?) Simply put, people friggin love these things and they share them. I think the word I’m looking for here is ‘engagement’.
The purpose of these videos was to build a storyline about a product which makes easy work of something that’s more difficult than it should be. So I got together with my ideation partner, Charlotte, and we asked ourselves “what’s something difficult which really shouldn’t be such a pain?” While we were talking I was rummaging through my handbag trying to find a pen and I was like “well THIS definitely shouldn’t be so hard!” so we came up with the following videos.
The particular project shifted after the filming and I didn’t want them to go to waste, though, cuz they’re hecking cute. I’d love to get the opportunity to produce something like this again in the future!
- Concept Elizabeth Halford & Charlotte Simonsen
- Producer Elizabeth Halford
- Director/DOP Mark Rose
- Sound Elkanah Groves
- Editing Sascha Tucker
- Illustration Charlotte Simonsen
- Location Street Studios